Register To Post

Threaded | Newest First Previous Topic | Next Topic | Bottom
Poster Thread
Dave
Posted on: 2018/1/29 11:07
Webmaster
Athlete of the Month - February
Click to see original Image in a new window

Congratulations to Runner's Life Athlete of the Month - Ella Clarke!

Sport Section:

How was your 2017 season?

My 2017 season was fantastic! During the spring, I got PBs in all of my events and I had the opportunity to compete at the Junior Elite Provincials and Nationals for Triathlon in the summer. This past fall I had a great Cross Country season and won both Kawartha’s and the COSSA championships for senior girls. I qualified for OFSAA and placed 68th out of 270 and the Saint Peter’s senior girls team came 10th (I got an OFSAA ribbon!!!).

What are your goals for the 2018 season?

My main goal for 2018 is to PB in the 1500m and 3000m events during the upcoming Track and Field season. I am hoping to get a time under 5 minutes for 1500m and around 10:30 for 3000m. I would also like to consistently run under 20 minute 5ks this year and hopefully in the fall, I will be able to run for McMaster on both their women’s Track and Cross Country team.

How do you manage to balance your various pursuits, training, family, work, etc?
In order to stay on top of everything going on in, I organize my entire life in my day timer. Upcoming tests and exams as well as when I work are the first things written down. From there, I build in all of my extra-curricular activities (including Runner’s Life!) and include my homework/study schedule. Even though there are times when I have a million things going on at once, I always make time for myself to exercise and incorporate workouts into weekly routines to decrease stress. I always feel better after an intense workout no matter what. Routine is super important and although not one day is exactly the same as another, my week is structured the same as the next with only a few variations. I make the most of every hour as free time is limited with my schedule and time never gets wasted on my watch!

What's your favourite workout?

My favourite type of workout is a brick workout. I love going for a hard bike ride and then immediately going for a run. At first, my legs feel like jelly but as I push through, it’s almost as if I can feel my legs getting stronger. In the summer and fall I would do a 16km time trial on my bike and then do a 3-4km run as soon as I got off my bike. The next day never feels great but this workout really makes use of all of the muscles in your legs and it’s also great for cardio.

What's your favourite race?

I like all races but one of my favourite Triathlon races would have to be the Toronto Triathlon Festival. There are always a ton of people there of all ages and abilities and the atmosphere is super positive and energetic. This past summer, Simon Whitfield was there as a guest speaker. It was really cool to see him and funnily enough, I was being born as Simon Whitfield won Gold at the Olympics in Australia. I also like the fact that I get to wear a wetsuit due to the water being freezing cold but I find that I am much faster when wearing one.

Favourite piece of gear?

My favourite piece of gear is my running shoes. For running, shoes are basically the only gear you really need. However, the kind of shoes you have can make a huge difference. I love having a comfortable pair of running shoes that are very light and fast. They also make for a nice accessory to go along with a running outfit and I always go for the most vibrant and cool pair I can find.

Bucket List of Races?

I am not exactly sure which ones, but I am hoping to compete in a number of 5km road races to get some more up to date times. I would also like to compete at the Provincials and Nationals again this year for Triathlon --- they are always so exciting and fun to be a part of. If I don’t qualify for OFSAA Track and Field this year (which is super competitive and hard to do), I would like to qualify for Eastern Regionals in the 1500m and 3000m event.

Favourite Pre-Race Meal?

Usually the morning before a race I am on the road and the frequent breakfast stop is Tim Hortons. My most frequent pre-race meal is a cheese bagel with plain cream cheese. I need to have some food in my system but I find bagels to be light enough that they won’t upset my stomach or negatively impact my race. Occasionally, a chocolate chip cookie as well as some chocolate milk will follow the bagel.

Life Section:

If you weren’t doing what you’re doing what would you be?

If I wasn’t going to school, which is what I am currently, I would be working full-time at the YMCA in an attempt to collect as much money as possible for university. I would also continue to run and train for Triathlons in my spare time.

What does the future hold for you?

Next year I am planning on going away to university for a Bachelor’s degree in Biomedical Science. Ideally, I would really like to attend McMaster and run for their Track and Cross Country team. If not that does not work out, my second choice is Western. No matter what ends up happening, I plan on never give up running. If I have the opportunity, I would really like to run Marathons and do an Ironman in my lifetime.

What are some of your favourite motto’s?

“Some girls chase boys… I pass them”
“Go for as long as you can, and then take another step”
“My sport is your sports punishment”
“Do one thing every day that scares you”

What’s your idea of a perfect day?

What’s your idea of a perfect day?
My idea of a perfect day would be to sleep in (not too late) and go for a run on a beach somewhere warm. After my run, I would eat as much meat, pasta, and Caesar salad as possible and then swim in the ocean for the rest of the day until I got hungry again.

Sweet or salty?

Salty snacks are definitely my favourite. Mrs. Vickie’s Sea Salt and Malt Vinegar chips are the best chips ever and I don’t know what I would do without popcorn and the Kernel’s flavour shakers I put on it!

What’s on your iPod?

My iPod mostly contains really upbeat and fast paced music that I listen to when I run or workout. The majority of my running playlist is a combination of Pop, Hip-Hop, and Rap. I have a wide variety of songs and artists but the common theme is motivational music or anything that will keep one leg moving in front of the other.

Favourite Cocktail?

If I was 19, I would have to say my favourite cocktail would be a Strawberry Daiquiri but as I am only 17, my favourite “mock-tail” is a virgin Strawberry Daiquiri.

If you could have dinner with any 3 people living or dead whom would they be?

If I could have dinner with three people, I would choose Michelle Obama, Michael Jackson, and Ellen DeGeneres. Michelle Obama is an outstanding woman, Michael Jackson is a fantastic artist, and I think Ellen DeGeneres is hilarious in addition to her being the voice of Dory in “Finding Nemo”.

What else should we know about you?

Currently, I am a grade twelve student at Saint Peter’s Catholic Secondary School and
I work at the YMCA as a lifeguard and Swim Instructor. Cross Country is my favourite sport with my school but outside of school, I love doing Triathlons. I competed in my first Triathlon when I was 4 years old and placed 1st at the Dr. Doug’s Kids of Steel at Beavermeade park in the five and under category. Hopefully, I will be able to continue racing the rest of my life.

Threaded | Newest First Previous Topic | Next Topic |

Register To Post

Peterborough's Running & Multisport Store