Register To Post

Threaded | Newest First Previous Topic | Next Topic | Bottom
Poster Thread
Dave
Posted on: 2017/3/20 15:04
Webmaster
Athlete of the Month - March
Click to see original Image in a new window

Congratulations to Runner's Life Athlete of the Month - Allison Lainey!

Sport Section:

How was your 2016 season?

2016 was a busy year for me – finishing my residency, studying for my licensing exams – so training took a back seat, and I ran more to stay fit and stay sane! I raced the Peterborough half for the first time, and realized that I needed to put in more long runs and more hill training to run that race well.
A highlight of 2016 was really joining Runner’s Life, being in town to make workouts more consistently, and learning to love winter running thanks to the group!

You recently had a PB at the Peterborough Half Marathon, how did that go?

It was definitely the best race I’ve ever run. I’ve always had trouble with pacing/going out too fast, but this time I stuck to my pace goals consistently and felt good enough to negative split and kick at the end. It was the first time I’ve put in a lot of long runs with pick-ups for training, and that made all the difference in the world.

You also PB’ed at the St. Patrick’s 5k with a 20:01, was that bittersweet?

A little! My previous PB was 20:20 – I thought I could likely beat that, but I thought it was way too cold to come near breaking 20! The race felt pretty good despite the icy temperatures, so I’m pretty motivated to race another 5k soon and see if I can crack the 20 minute mark!

What are your goals for the 2017 season?

I’m racing the Goodlife Half Marathon in May – I’m hoping with the warmer weather and flat course I might be able to PB again. I’ve trained pretty hard this winter, so I think I’ll take a mental and physical break this summer to cycle more, play ultimate frisbee, etc. I might throw in a duathlon or two – I started racing those last summer, and it was a lot of fun!

How do you manage to balance your various pursuits, training, family, work, etc?

Lots of practice! I’ve always been someone who enjoys having a lot on the go, but it can be hard to balance it all. Being a shift worker is great in some ways – gives me lots of sunny daytime hours to run, catch up on errands, etc, but it comes at the expense of wonky sleep hours. I think I’ve learned to make a dedicated effort to sleep enough and eat regular meals despite busy shifts, and to try and do my big training runs when well rested – and not expect much when I’m tired!

What's your favourite workout?

Speed work! When I ran track in highschool, I considered anything longer than 200m a long distance race. I’ve always had a need for speed, so intervals are my favourite.

What's your favourite race?

The Peterborough Half was pretty great this year – there’s something awesome about racing in your hometown, and seeing familiar faces all along the route. A close second would be the Ottawa Race Weekend half marathon. I’ve run it a couple of times, and its just a really well organized event with an amazing atmosphere.

Favourite piece of gear?

Asics Kayanos – can’t live without them! Though after this winter, the Sugoi Subzero tights have become my new wardrobe staple.

Bucket List of Races?

I’d love to run Around the Bay, and completing a marathon is a long-term goal. And whose bucket list doesn’t include Boston?! I’d love to do a triathlon at some point, but right now I sink like a stone.
Favourite Pre-Race Meal?
Chocolate chip Clif bar before a morning race, and homemade spaghetti religiously for dinner the night before.

Life Section:

If you weren’t doing what you’re doing what would you be?

I think I’d be teaching in some capacity, and working at a bakery making custom cakes and cupcakes.

What are some of your favourite motto’s?

“Right left right left as fast as you can” – my high school track coach and mentor liked to keep things simple 
What’s your idea of a perfect day?
About 18 degrees and sunny, with an easy run in the morning. Brunch at BE catering (I’ve got their breakfast sandwich on the brain) then a long bike ride with friends that includes a pit stop for Kawartha Dairy ice cream. Dinner with friends and family that someone else cooks would cap off a great day. Basically lots of good food, good friends, and time outside!

What’s on your iPod?

Podcasts for long runs; my running playlist is mostly top 40 plus a smattering of embarrassing late 90s/early 2000s pop hits thrown in for good measure.

Favourite Cocktail?

I think I had one too many vodka crans in university, so I’m not much of a cocktail gal. I’d prefer a glass of wine or a cider any day.

If you could have dinner with any 3 people living or dead whom would they be?

Hmm… right now I’d say Terry Fox, Michelle Obama (she can bring Barack as a plus one if there’s room) and Ellen Degeneres. It would be great conversation with a lot of laughs as well!

What else should we know about you?

I really wish I could sing! I love music, and so wish I’d been born with a musical bone in my body.

Click to see original Image in a new window

Threaded | Newest First Previous Topic | Next Topic |

Register To Post

Peterborough's Running & Multisport Store